Saturday, July 17, 2010

True or false: Men are retards?

So, after writing this blog for a little while it has come to my attention just how many people are in my position. Or a worse position.

I have over the last few weeks, heard some of the most horrendous break up stories I think I've ever heard and most of them involve the man having no balls. Why is that? Why is it that men can't seem to just own their feelings and share them in a way that means you can leave a relationship with some dignity?
Honestly, the stories I've heard make me feel like what I went through was a walk in the park. I admire other women out there who deal with such horrible circumstances with such grace and self poise. I know in some of my previous relationships I haven't been quite so much that way....

It begs the question, how do you identify a decent man sometimes? I know love is a risk but once you get to be in my position after having been in a few relationships over the years, you get tired of dealing with a man's bullshite.

More to the point, how are you supposed to meet men these days? In the 18 months since I've been back from the UK I haven't been asked out on a single date. Granted, for a lot of that time I wasn't in the right frame of mind and I wouldn't have wanted to go even if I was asked. As per one of my previous posts I am indeed very happy on my own however if I was asked out now by someone of interest I would likely say yes.

After venturing back out into the Sydney social scene over the last few months it has come to my attention just how many dickheads there are moronically trying to pick up women like a bunch of retards. I came across this again last night. I was out with a couple of girlfriends for a friend's birthday and the bar appeared to be full of bogans that had no idea how to have a grown up conversation with a woman.

As we were accosted by the same guy for the 2nd time (he'd already had a go at chatting me up on the way back from the Ladies and also tried it on with my friend at the bar) my friend asked him "do you know Natalie Bassingthwaite on So You Think You Can Dance? What's she like?" and when he replied "Awkward" my friend then pointed at him to let him know that was exactly what he was.

She then went on to inform him that he should try this "Hi, my name is XXX. Can I buy you a drink?" It was at that point that I began to wonder how men can think that sidling up to a bunch of girls in a bar, drunk as you like and talking absolute crap at them, can lead to anything other than a roll of their eyes and if their lucky instead of complete ignorance they'll be granted a polite "you can leave now."

The problem with dressing up and going out looking fabulous (as we clearly did last night) is that you don't attract the decent guys, you attract the morons who like to punch above their weight and think they have nothing to lose so try to get your attention with really bad pick up lines and idiotic conversation.

Another fantastic example last night was when this same friend who pointed out the awkwardness of the first individual, had a great conversation that went like this:
My friend: "Excuse me" (as she tried to pass him with a handful of drinks)
Dickhead #2: "What? Did you fart?"

Um SERIOUSLY?! Are we 10 years old? Fark me, if that's the kind of conversation I can look forward to having in bars in the future I might as well stay home and eat chocolate in my Pjs getting on it on my own with a good bottle of wine....

Until next time....

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment